It is often considered to be the basest of put-downs, when a woman makes reference to a "small penis size" being the cause of a man's behavior. Small penis size has been attributed to all sorts of behavior including, but not limited to, buying fast cars, driving over-sized cars, buying expensive toys, hunting, and building big buildings. I combed the internet for research into the truth of this put-down and found that there is not much truth to it at all, at least not in the way that it is most commonly used. The general consensus seems to be that men are far more likely to do such things in the hopes of getting laid rather than to make up for what may be lacking in their pants.
www.webmd.com/sex-relationships/news/20070601/small-penis-syndrom-common defines Small Penis Syndrome as: The anxiety of thinking one's penis is too small...even though it isn't. this is totally different from the micropenis which measures 2.75 inches when erect.
Approximately 55% of all men surveyed want a larger penis. Approximately 85% of all women surveyed were content with their partner's penis size.
Kevan Wylie and Ian Eardly are two British Urologist have further defined Small Penis Syndrome as: "An obsessive rumination with compulsive checking rituals, body dysmorphic disorder, or as part of a psychosis."
I found more specific characteristics of this syndrome at www.pvmhmr.org/poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=24026&cn=1
1) Psychological rigidity, obssessionality or fixation
2) Focused and fixated on what women want. Tend to view females as ridiculing, castrating, powerful, and "goddess like." Not the goddess like Aphrodite, but more like the goddess Kali.
3) They thus avoid women and do not have social relationships with them although these relationships are longed for.
4) It is thought that these men may be developmentally delayed in the area of social maturity and be less likely overall to engage in social interactions with both men and women.
5) Inverted narcissism: A form of narcissism whereby the roles of the exploited and exploiter are reversed from their classical position.
6) Body dysmorphic disorder: A condition where a consistent perceptual distortion exists in that a part of the body is thought to be larger or smaller than it actually is.
7) These men also tend to be very angry at themselves, at women, and at the world.
The website that listed these characteristics was probably the best website that I found dedicated to this issue and dedicated to helping men overcome this problem. The researchers wrote about their frustration with trying to help these men. They stated that the men always mailed in their measurements and persisted in thinking that they were too small even when presented with statistics proving the oppostie to be true.
They also stated that many men who experience this syndrome have exposed themselves to pornography and thus a distorted way of thinking about male/female relationships: Replacing intimacy and love with simple and raw sex.
So, I guess that this is a wrap for my first "armchair psychology" post. Next time you are thinking about the "small penis size" put-down, think again, the guys who suffer from this the most are most likely guys women won't even know.