Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Favorite Painting

This is my favorite painting, or at least one of them, there is so much good art out there that it is kind of hard to choose. When I was in graduate school at the University of Wisconsin I used to drive my crappy little car in all kinds of weather to get to the Art Institute of Chicago where this painting is housed. I spent an incredible amount of time looking at it. Because I have seen the original so many times up close and personal, I find that I am reluctant to accept a copy. What gets me is the red in the older sister's hat. Never has a copy even come close to the red in the original. The colors are so vibrant that they almost feel alive. I think that this painting transcends time, look at it long enough and you can almost feel as though you are there.

1 comment:

Megs said...

oh Karen, i loooove that chicago art institute. my fav, also very vibrant, was Toulouse-Lautrec's pink dancer.
have fun skiing tomorrow my dear! i had fun today! weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! and see you soon!!!!!! and happy easter!!!!!!!!!!!
love meg
ps 'limbo' is the word verification!