Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Sad Day

This is a very sad day for me. I have discovered that I can no longer tolerate cheap red wine. The fact of the matter is, it gives me a headache. A headache that lasts through several doeses of Advil, a strenous workout, and caffeine. The last two times that I have imbibed on cheap red wine, I didn't even drink that much of it, relatively speaking and I have had a day long headache as a result.

Now I am not saying that I can only drink $50.00 bottles and better (although that does help), but it seems as if I am ageing out of the $3.99-$6.99 range. I used to be able to tolerate such wines, usually from Trader Joes, headache free. Middle age is upon me and this is just another side effect.

I won't be switching to white wine soon either. That has always given me a headache. Another option is to give up drinking red wine altogether or mooch from my friends. I haven't really decided on a reasonable solution, I am still exploring my options.

I probably won't stop drinking red wine altogether. I just like it too much, I might start by being moderately picky about the level of cheapness, buying better wines on sale in the cheap range might be a good place to start. I could announce that I will be mooching off of my friends, but many of them read this blog and they might stop inviting me over.

For now I will start a journal and list specific cheap wines that give me a headache. Maybe I will find one in the bunch that doesn't. Sadly I don't own a winery or have thousands of dollars to spend on wine. Drinking it will have to remain a careful habit for me.

2 comments:

Benjamin Ady said...

hopefully there'll be just the red for you friday night m'dear!!
love m

Loud Larry said...

“Wine is bottled poetry.”
- Robert Louis Stevenson


Red, red wine
Go to my head
Make me forget that i
Still need her so

Red, red wine
It's up to you
All I can do, I've done
But memories won't go
No, memories won't go

I'd have sworn
That with time
Thoughts of you
Would leave my head
I was wrong
And I find
Just one thing
Makes me forget

Red, red wine
Stay close to me
Don't let me be alone
It's tearing apart
My blue, blue heart

Written by: Neil Diamond