Tuesday, August 5, 2008

In Praise of Exercise

Last week I read a quote, something to the effect of "exercising does not make you grow old, not exercising ages you." I believe this to be true and recently did something that I thought I would never do, I met with a personal trainer to revamp my work-out routine. It seems that as I age, the running (really more like jogging, but running sounds better) 3 times a week was just not cutting it. In fact, I actually seemed to be gaining weight. According to my personal trainer, my metabolsim has slowed and basically needs a kick in the pants to get started again. Exercising is hard work, most things worth having are.

After starting this new routine, I briefly thought about doing some extreme modification in the diet and drinking department. I quickly thought better of this as life is too short to cut back on everything yummy and fun. Some people may think that I drink...uhm... too...much...wine. But those people know who they are and I never see them turning down a good glass of Merlot or Cabernet. Hell, I don't even see them turning down a bad glass of Merlot or Cabernet. In regards to alcohol consumption I think that Chelsea Handler has a good rule. Grapefruit juice apparantly detoxifies the liver, Chelsea suggests mixing vodka with grapefruit juice so that you can detoxify your liver while you drink. Not bad advice. But now, back to exercise. What is my point? I guess my point would be that even if your eating and drinking habits don't change, exercise is a good thing. It is really, really (and now that I am doing a real work-out I can say this) hard to do in terms of both energy and time. However, a little is better than none at all.

No comments: