Monday, January 26, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire


I saw this movie today. I was a bit reluctant after all of the "hype," but I have to say that it has taken its proper place as one of my favorite movies of all time. There is something in it for everyone, action/adventure, drama, romance...The best part for me, at least, was that it didn't present India as a Hollywood image. India is a country that is near and dear to my heart. I have only visited it once, but look forward to returning when my children are older. It is all here in this movie, the beautiful, the bad, the ugly, and the great. India is many things and it would be fair to warn people that some of the ugliness will be hard for Americans to tolerate. I say this based on the conversation of the women seated behind me. They were "horrified" and did not count this movie as one of the best that they had ever seen. I guess that is an appropriate reaction for people who want to view the world through their own cutural lense, but it wasn't mine, so I will count this viewing as a great experience and a wonderful story.

1 comment:

Megs said...

I really want to see this movie Karen! ANd to go to India! One day...
Maryam might be coming on Saturday - Nathalie and Diana not, so it'll be a writing group cross country skiing adventure! Can't wait!

Love Meg