Sunday, January 4, 2009

New Years Resolutions

I have never been one for making "resolutions" I prefer to call them "goals" maybe that is just another name for resolution in disguse. It just seems to me that goals are more obtainable than resolutions. When I mentally make a resolution it is usually something quite impossible for me to obtain such as, "I will be a nicer person." Almost immediately after making such a resolution I find myself on the road with an idiot driver and the "nicer person" no longer exits. It is sad that it takes that little to make me not nice. To my credit, I am trying to get better. Driving with kids in the car is a great anecdote for any foul words that might otherwise come out of my mouth.



Back to the resolutions and goals thing, when I make a goal it is usually something that I can actually do like, learn how to blog. That was a goal that I set for myself last January and here I am, a year later, happily blogging away. Goals seem to be more doable, I just need the steps, I don't have to try and put the energy into changing some great personal failing within myself. That would take longer than one year to tackle and may even take a lifetime. So for this year I have set some goals, humble as they may be. Some are short-term and some are long-term. I don't know if I will get to them all, but the list has been created with trying in mind, so here they are:

1) Try to enjoy my children more.
2) Find time to write more so that I can get better at it.
3) Plan a unique family vacation.
4) Make sure that my oldest daughter gets to go to the local humane society camp this summer (I miss the deadline every year).
5) Visit more local wineries (my main goal being Maison de Padgett in Zillah, WA, very interesting wines and ports, can't wait to try more)!
6) Make a small career transition, something needs to change and it needs to happen this year.
7) Continue to work out on a regular basis for both my mental and physical well-being.
8) Listen to that voice inside my head when a friend is calling out for help, but trying to pretend that she isn't.
9) Remember that all things have a season and that there is a time and purpose to all things under heaven.
10) Stop fighting my hair, it is what it is and I can't do a damn thing about it!

Happy 2009!!!

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Okay, did you ever read that book by Laurie Notaro, "I Love Everyone (and Other Atrocious Lies from A Loudmouth Girl)? I have to have told you about it. Hands down the funniest book ever for those of us who have bitchyness etched into our personas. If you haven't, you MUST go out an buy it NOW! I'm incapable of being nice either. She makes it hilarious!