Monday, October 27, 2008

Why I Hate Technology

I don't mean to sound like an old cardmugen, O.K., well maybe I kind of do. But I really can't say that I am that fond of technology. Yesterday, for example, I wanted to write something. To add a bit to something that I had already started. I sat down and wrote with a pen and paper for one hour and wrote about six pages. Today I attempted to post a 1/2 page journal entry on one of my web pages. Internet Explporer was having difficulty posting the page. I had to re-write it three times (the computer was also having trouble saving the information). It took me almost two hours to write less than half of what I had written by hand using the computer.

Our printer cartridge is empty. The printer is old. This needs to be ordered, first found, then ordered on-line. I felt elation today when I found a cartridge that was the correct size and had been stored properly so it wouldn't dry out. Well, it wasn't dry. The ink spilled all over my hands during the 5-6 times I attempted to install it and then print. The only place where there was no ink was on the paper that I was trying to print (the one place where ink would have been helpful). Now my fingers are a beautiful shade of greenish-black, quite lovely.

This was the morning that I also decided to upload some photos. I had been given specific instruction by my significant other as to where to store these photos once uploaded. I hooked up the camera, prepared to make my choices, and some program started running automtically. Grabbing photos and storing them where? I am not sure because I could not find them. I know that they were not in the appropriate place. When I finally did locate them, I tried to save everything on a CD. I said "select all." The program would not save any pictures on the CD because I had not selected any. After trying to reason through how to make "select all" more clear to the computer, I gave up the ghost. There is only so much time during the day.

While I do work part-time, I am for the most part a stay-at-home mom. If you are ever wondering what a stay-at-home mom does all day, here is your answer: Tries to make technology work for her.

No comments: