Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Ageism and the 21st Century

I try to be a positive person, but this truly is one of my rants. Don't get me wrong, I love the younger generations and "yes" they probably do have more spunk and bounce than I do these days, but please cut the negativity. It really got me going when I was cruising You-Tube (a pointless waste of my spare time) and I read "Mick Jagger, not the songbird he used to be." Probably posted by a twenty-something who foresees themselves sitting in a rocker and slurping mushy food when they turn sixty. So, Mick may not be the "songbird" that he once was, but he sure as hell can command the stage better. The clothes have improved since the sixties too. Back then he had one thinking gay or straight? gay or straight? does he really know?

At any rate, when I am sixty and sixty plus I sure hope that I am still skiing, hiking, going to musical events, drinking wine with my friends, and writing the next great American novel. I am sorry that the younger generation doesn't seem to feel this way. Maybe they just think that they will never get old. Ha, ha, ha that's where we are all headed baby, so you had better learn to love yourself and do what you do until the day you're outta here!

No comments: